Seven layer bars are my favorite dessert to bring to a party. They disappear before you know it. Why? Because these bars include the very best ingredients used in baking.
Seven layer bars are also known as “sin bars,” after the seven deadly sins. While I firmly believe this treat is a blessing, I can see how each ingredient matches up with one of the sins.
- Butter (gluttony): Butter. Butter, butter, butter. Keep repeating the word to yourself. Say no more.
- Graham crackers (envy): They are the foundation of a s’more, the crust for cheesecakes. Who wouldn’t envy the graham cracker?
- Butterscotch (lust): The most beautiful, mysterious flavor. I find butterscotch difficult to describe fully.
- Chocolate (greed): My love, my vice, my everything. I cannot get enough of chocolate.
- Coconut (pride): It’s everywhere, in all forms. Why wouldn’t coconut be proud?
- Walnuts (anger): Have you ever seen a whole walnut? I hope so. It’s elegant, buttery, and craggy. It looks angry.
- Sweetened condensed milk (sloth): The very nature of this ingredient is sloth-like. It’s so slow to come out of the can, you have to use a spatula to get it out. Perfect match.
Seven Layer Bars
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- 6 oz butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Melt the butter.
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the butter until fully combined. Place mixture into a 13 x 9 baking dish. Press the graham cracker mixture down until it forms a crust covering the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and chopped walnuts on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over these layers to cover the entire pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Make sure to let the bars cool before you cut into them!